This guide contains the whys and wherefores of categorizing the Mac Clean Pro app as a virus and additionally includes simply steps to uninstall it from Mac.
There is a huge gap between Mac applications that actually do something and the ones that pretend to. Although genuine optimization tools and scareware that only imitates the process are on the opposite sides of the software ecosystem, it may be difficult to distinguish between the two types. Cybercrooks have gotten fairly competent in coining rogue utilities over time – the Mac Clean Pro app demonstrates this adverse expertise to the fullest. Zooming out a bit, Mac optimization solutions are growingly popular nowadays as they allow for hassle-free system tune-up with very little user involvement. In response to this hype, malicious players are launching counterfeit cleaning utilities in quick succession. One of these campaigns presently in rotation is peddling the above-mentioned impostor program, which emulates a system scan and claims to detect a bevy of issues in order to defraud the victims of money in the form of the license activation fee.
The GUI of the Mac Clean Pro virus is tailored to resemble a garden-variety performance enhancement tool, but this external appeal is simply a red herring pursuing a persuasion effect. The alleged feature set is split into four sections, namely Cleaning, Optimization, Manual Cleaning, and Security – each one with sub-elements of its own. The most conspicuous item on the interface, though, is the Clean Now button, and that’s a predictable thing for a phony application craving for the plagued user’s money.
With that said, the fundamental component of the raid is the Mac scan that kicks off right after the unauthorized emergence of the culprit inside the host. In order to appear trustworthy, the system checkup takes some time despite the fact that there is no real scan activity going on. Mac Clean Pro is programmed to display the predefined graphics that are supposed to instill a sense of trust. A clever move on the attackers’ end is that the number of detected problems and threats won’t match for different victims, which is the only variable parameter hard-coded into the pest. All in all, the scan workflow is a dummy and the results are bogus, too.
With regard to the distribution, Mac Clean Pro doesn’t stand out from the rest at all. Its payload is cloaked by layers of tricky installation clients, where the main software is harmless and perhaps even useful but the bundled items are shady to the bone. Staying safe in these cases is a no-brainer and only a matter of selecting the custom setup option that reveals the secret cards. However, not everybody is security-minded enough to go that route, so there will always be people who get on the hook of the bundling stratagem. Anyway, the Mac Clean Pro malware creeps into computers along with other apps that don’t pose any risk themselves. Having completed the sneaky encroachment, it sprinkles its files across different paths on the Mac, including Login Items, in order to maintain persistence and prevent ordinary removal. Fortunately, the situation isn’t as bad as it appears – Mac Clean Pro removal is doable by means of a peculiar technique covered below.
Mac Clean Pro virus manual removal for Mac
The steps listed below will walk you through the removal of this potentially unwanted application. Be sure to follow the instructions in the order specified.
- Open up the Utilities folder as shown below
- Locate the Activity Monitor icon on the screen and double-click on it
- Under Activity Monitor, find the entry for Mac Clean Pro, select it and click Quit Process
- A dialog should pop up, asking if you are sure you would like to quit the Mac Clean Pro executable. Select the Force Quit option
- Expand the Go menu in Apple Finder and select Go to Folder
- Type or paste the following string in the folder search dialog: /Library/LaunchAgents
- Once the LaunchAgentsdirectory opens up, find the following entries in it and move them to Trash:
- Use the Go to Folder lookup feature again to navigate to the folder named ~/Library/LaunchAgents. When this path opens, look for the same entries (see above) and send them to Trash
- Similarly, go to the ~Library/Application Support folder. Locate and move the following entries to Trash:
- Click the Go button again, but this time select Applications on the list. Find the entry for Mac Clean Pro on the interface, right-click on it and select Move to Trash. If user password is required, go ahead and enter it
- Now go to Apple Menu and pick the System Preferences option
- Select Accounts and click the Login Items button. The system will come up with the list of the items that launch when the box is started up. Locate Mac Clean Pro there and click on the “-“ button
Use automatic tool to uninstall Mac Clean Pro virus from your Mac
When confronted with malicious code like the Mac Clean Pro virus on Mac, you can neutralize its toxic impact by leveraging a specially crafted system utility. The Freshmac application (read review) is a perfect match for this purpose as it delivers essential security features along with must-have modules for Mac optimization.
This tool cleans unneeded applications and persistent malware in one click. It also protects your privacy by eliminating tracking cookies, frees up disk space, and manages startup apps to decrease boot time. On top of that, it boasts 24/7 tech support. The following steps will walk you through automatic removal of the Mac Clean Pro infection.
- Download Freshmac installer onto your machine. Double-click the Freshmac.pkg file to trigger the installer window, select the destination disk and click Continue. The system will display a dialog asking for your password to authorize the setup. Type the password and click Install Software
- Once the installation has been completed, Freshmac will automatically start a scan consisting of 5 steps. It scans cache, logs, unused languages, trash, and checks the Mac for privacy issues.
- The scan report will then display your current system health status and the number of issues detected for each of the above categories. Click the Fix Safely button to remove junk files and address privacy issues spotted during the scan.
- Check whether the Mac Clean Pro issue has been fixed. If it perseveres, go to the Uninstaller option on Freshmac GUI. Locate an entry that appears suspicious, select it and click Fix Safely button to force-uninstall the unwanted application.
- Go to Temp and Startup Apps panes on the interface and have all redundant or suspicious items eliminated as well. The Mac Clean Pro malware shouldn’t be causing any further trouble.