The post describes the Chill Tab virus issue affecting web browsers on Mac and provides instructions on removing the annoying redirects and popup alerts.
People are so concerned about privacy these days and can’t stand any interference with their personal space. This issue has partially migrated to the cyber world as the technology moves forward at a gigantic pace. How about one’s web browsing? This thing is intimate to the bone as it holds tons of personally identifiable information and numerous settings that also speak volumes about the user. The violation of these preferences is just as disconcerting as real-life privacy infringements. That's exactly what happens if the Chill Tab virus takes root on a Mac computer. It doesn’t bother asking for the admin’s approval when changing the most important online surfing defaults.
In particular, the Chill Tab nuisance skews such custom browsing settings as the homepage, search and new tab page in Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox on a Mac. In the upshot, the victim finds himself or herself in a wicked loop of constantly visiting the search.chill-tab.com web page. Although said site is harmless in itself and appears to be some sort of a search provider, it would probably never make to the user’s browsing history if it weren’t for a sneaky malware attack prior to the emergence of symptoms. This combo of a browser hijacker and persistent adware typically infiltrates Mac machines as part of application bundles. Because the presence of the baddie isn’t clearly disclosed by these installation wizards, people run the risk of unknowingly allowing the setup.
In addition to the browser redirect activity that’s certainly noxious, the Chill Tab virus wreaks more havoc by generating popup notifications almost all the time. One of these is a recurrent dialog window recommending the user to install Chill Tab - whatever that should mean, given that the perpetrating program is already there anyway. This popup says, “Are you sure you want to install the extension Chill-Tab?” The culprit must be trying to add another unwanted helper object to Safari via this technique. Hopefully to no avail.
Another symptom is that Safari will be randomly starting up and displaying a popup that says, “Scanning for browser updates”. This will be followed by an onset of another window saying, “Your browser is now up to date!” Next, the user may see the above-mentioned request to install Chill Tab extension. Ultimately, this onslaught turns into an iterative display of nag screens mixed up with browser rerouting. Such a state of things, obviously, isn’t on any Mac user’s wish list, to put it mildly. The Chill Tab (search.chill-tab.com) virus should be exterminated as soon as possible. The methodology of this cleanup is what the following sections will cover in detail.
Chill Tab virus manual removal for Mac
The steps listed below will walk you through the removal of this malicious application. Be sure to follow the instructions in the order specified.
• Open up the Utilities folder as shown below
• Locate the Activity Monitor icon on the screen and double-click on it
• Under Activity Monitor, find the entry for Chill Tab or Chill-Tab, select it and click Quit Process
• A dialog should pop up, asking if you are sure you would like to quit the troublemaking process. Select the Force Quit option
• Click the Go button again, but this time select Applications on the list. Find the entry for Chill Tab on the interface, right-click on it and select Move to Trash. If user password is required, go ahead and enter it
• Now go to Apple Menu and pick the System Preferences option
• Select Accounts and click the Login Items button. The system will come up with the list of the items that launch when the box is started up. Locate Chill Tab there and click on the “-“ button
Get rid of search.chill-tab.com redirects in web browser
To begin with, settings for the web browser that got hit by the Chill Tab virus should be restored to their default values. The overview of steps for this procedure is as follows:
1. Reset Safari
• Open the browser and go to Safari menu. Select Reset Safari in the drop-down list
• Make sure all the boxes are ticked on the interface and hit Reset
2. Reset Google Chrome
• Open Chrome and click the Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon
• Select Options for a new window to appear
• Select Under the Hood tab, then click Reset to defaults button
3. Reset Mozilla Firefox
• Open Firefox and select Help – Troubleshooting Information
• On the page that opened, click the Reset Firefox button
Use automatic tool to uninstall Chill Tab malware from your Mac
1. Download and install MacBooster application (read review). The tool provides both optimization and security features for your Mac. As part of obliterating the Chill Tab infection proper, consider also checking your machine for other security risks and performance issues by hitting the Scan button.
2. Proceed to the Uninstaller feature, find Chill Tab on the Applications list and have MacBooster completely eliminate all components of the app from your Mac by clicking Uninstall in the bottom part of the GUI. Doing so will ensure all components of the malware and its remainders, which may have not been removed in the manual way, will be thoroughly cleaned up.