Learn what side effects the MacSmart add-on has on the infected Mac machine and get easy-to-follow removal instructions to stop the ads from popping up.
Staying informed about up-to-date discounts and different sorts of commercial online deals might certainly be in demand, but a lot depends on the way this data is delivered to computer users. Perhaps the key criterion is moderate intrusiveness, and that’s where the MacSmart app fails big time. This is an add-on that works on the Mac versions of Safari, Chrome and Firefox. When installed, it displays sponsored information on arbitrary web pages in an extremely annoying fashion. In this case, the compromised Mac user has no influence on how many ads are displayed and how they affect the site layout. At the end of the day, there remains little space on visited websites as the ads cover nearly half of the content. The obtrusive objects, signed "Ads by MacSmart" or "Brought to you by MacSmart", are oriented towards Internet shopping, where the user gets to see and compare deals from popular e-shopping services.
Whether or not you get infected is mainly dependent on how attentive you are when downloading stuff on the web. That’s because MacSmart tends to spread with third-party application installs, following the so-called principle of bundling. This means some free video downloaders or entertainment software involved in the distribution of this adware go with the bad payload which is an opt-out. Therefore carefully reading the terms of service for freeware or shareware that’s being downloaded might prevent the user from getting infected.
MacSmart removal means the noxious ads will no longer appear, hence a better browsing experience and, quite possibly, intact online privacy. Regarding the latter benefit, it has to do with the fact that this adware does some user activity tracking for more accurate product advertising. It may seem at first sight that getting rid of it is a matter of uninstalling the add-on from browsers, which is unfortunately a delusion. This potentially unwanted browser helper object is aggressive and persistent, which is why the cleaning guide below is mandatory to follow.
MacSmart manual removal for Mac
1. Reset Safari
• Open the browser and go to Safari menu. Select Reset Safari in the drop-down list
• Make sure all the boxes are ticked on the interface and hit Reset
2. Reset Google Chrome (if affected by the MacSmart virus)
• Open Chrome and click the Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon
• Select Options for a new window to appear
• Select Under the Hood tab, then click Reset to defaults button
3. Reset Mozilla Firefox (if affected)
• Open Firefox and select Help – Troubleshooting Information
• On the page that opened, click the Reset Firefox button
Get rid of MacSmart virus using Freshmac automatic removal tool
When confronted with malicious code like the MacSmart, you can neutralize its toxic impact by leveraging a specially crafted system utility. The Freshmac application (read review) is a perfect match for this purpose as it delivers essential security features along with must-have modules for Mac optimization.
This tool cleans unneeded applications and persistent malware in one click. It also protects your privacy by eliminating tracking cookies, frees up disk space, and manages startup apps to decrease boot time. On top of that, it boasts 24/7 tech support. The following steps will walk you through automatic removal of the MacSmart infection.
1. Download Freshmac installer onto your machine. Double-click the Freshmac.pkg file to trigger the installer window, select the destination disk and click Continue. The system will display a dialog asking for your password to authorize the setup. Type the password and click Install Software.
2. Once the installation has been completed, Freshmac will automatically start a scan consisting of 5 steps. It scans cache, logs, unused languages, trash, and checks the Mac for privacy issues.
3. The scan report will then display your current system health status and the number of issues detected for each of the above categories. Click the Fix Safely button to remove junk files and address privacy issues spotted during the scan.
4. Check whether the MacSmart adware has been fixed. If the lock screen is still there, go to the Uninstaller option on Freshmac GUI. Locate an entry that appears suspicious, select it and click Fix Safely button to force-uninstall the unwanted application.
5. Go to Temp and Startup Apps panes on the interface and have all redundant or suspicious items eliminated as well. The MacSmart fraud shouldn’t be causing any further trouble.
MacSmart virus automatic removal for Mac
1. Download and install MacKeeper application (read review). In addition to security features, this tool provides a vast arsenal of Mac optimization capabilities
2. Get your Mac checked for malicious software by going to System Scan and starting the scan procedure
3. When the app comes up with a list of detected security issues, get those fixed by clicking the respective button. The MacSmart adware should now be completely gone.