Only Search adware removal on Mac, ways to restore the modified browsing preferences and other nuances of this infection are provided in the guide.
The relatively recent tendency in the computer threats environment is about the deployment of cross-platform malware properties. For instance, the potentially unwanted application referred to as Only Search can spread on Windows and Mac OS X alike. Obviously, the fraudsters seek to considerably expand the scope of targeted machines, which is quite an alarming thing to realize. Similarly to its Windows-based counterpart, the Only Search payload for Mac enters a system in a treacherous way, namely through the process called bundling. This term originated as the denotation of a practice where a piece of software is pre-installed on newly purchased hardware. Later on it came to also denote a situation where an app installs along with another app, not necessarily in an explicit fashion. In the case with Only Search, its installer tends to be integrated in the setup for third-party utilities, mostly ones that do not require paid registration. Some of these are SearchMe, MacSave, MacShop and VidX. The distribution of the unsafe object in question thus takes place covertly, and the victim only finds out when the adware is up and running.
The symptoms of the Only Search adware operating on a Mac machine are mainly associated with unsolicited changes to the web browser preferences. Such parameters as the homepage, default search and new tab page are given a new attribute for their URL value, that is, only-search.com. It is a search provider which, to its credit, does not reroute further queries to a different page. But the process through which it gets imposed upon people is very wrong. Also, the portal has got ads in its pages, include the start page. This taken into account, there is no doubt left about the whole point of this strategy: the adware distributors “attract” lots of new users to get a constantly growing profit from ads that are displayed on their landing page. Ironically, only-search.com provides a cool feature that consists in the ability to adjust its homepage to the user’s likes and needs. Below is the snapshot of the respective customization screen. That certainly doesn’t justify the activity of the adware that powers it.
The Only Search add-on can be removed in the browser that was affected. Incidentally, the bad extension is compatible with Safari as well as the Mac builds of Firefox and Chrome. Whereas the standard add-on uninstalling technique is often inefficient in this particular case, resetting the browser will definitely do the trick. The article’s removal section is there to provide full guidance in this context.
Only Search manual removal for Mac
To begin with, settings for the web browser that got hit by only-search.com virus should be restored to their default values. The overview of steps for this procedure is as follows:
1. Reset Safari
• Open the browser and go to Safari menu. Select Reset Safari in the drop-down list
• Make sure all the boxes are ticked on the interface and hit Reset
2. Reset Google Chrome (if affected by the Only Search virus)
• Open Chrome and click the Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon
• Select Options for a new window to appear
• Select Under the Hood tab, then click Reset to defaults button
3. Reset Mozilla Firefox (if affected)
• Open Firefox and select Help – Troubleshooting Information
• On the page that opened, click the Reset Firefox button
Get rid of Only-search.com virus using Freshmac automatic removal tool
When confronted with malicious code like the Only-Search on Mac, you can neutralize its toxic impact by leveraging a specially crafted system utility. The Freshmac application (read review) is a perfect match for this purpose as it delivers essential security features along with must-have modules for Mac optimization.
This tool cleans unneeded applications and persistent malware in one click. It also protects your privacy by eliminating tracking cookies, frees up disk space, and manages startup apps to decrease boot time. On top of that, it boasts 24/7 tech support. The following steps will walk you through automatic removal of the Only Search infection.
1. Download Freshmac installer onto your machine. Double-click the Freshmac.pkg file to trigger the installer window, select the destination disk and click Continue. The system will display a dialog asking for your password to authorize the setup. Type the password and click Install Software.
2. Once the installation has been completed, Freshmac will automatically start a scan consisting of 5 steps. It scans cache, logs, unused languages, trash, and checks the Mac for privacy issues.
3. The scan report will then display your current system health status and the number of issues detected for each of the above categories. Click the Fix Safely button to remove junk files and address privacy issues spotted during the scan.
4. Check whether the Only-Search virus has been fixed. If the lock screen is still there, go to the Uninstaller option on Freshmac GUI. Locate an entry that appears suspicious, select it and click Fix Safely button to force-uninstall the unwanted application.
5. Go to Temp and Startup Apps panes on the interface and have all redundant or suspicious items eliminated as well. The Only-search.com virus fraud shouldn’t be causing any further trouble.