Learn how to get rid of Smart Mac Care potentially unwanted application that blows its scan results out of all proportion by reporting nonexistent issues.
Smart Mac Care sounds like an application with some great protection and maintenance features under the hood. Moreover, that’s exactly the way it is marketed. The publisher claims it to deliver a combo of security and system tune-up so that the computer runs as smooth as new and isn’t vulnerable to common malware and web threats. However, this officially stated functionality doesn’t always cohere with the tool’s actual behavior. It often dramatizes the risks found on a Mac, thus trying to scare the user into wanting to dodge those issues right away. Most of the wrongfully detected items are malware and junk files – although some of them are actually there, their overall severity is artificially magnified as part of the pressure approach. This tactic is the reason why Smart Mac Care is sometimes labeled as a PUA (potentially unwanted application) or scareware.
Although the controversial app in question is readily available to download on its official web page, its authors diversify the distribution channels by adding some foul play to the mix. Lots of users who discover Smart Mac Care running on their machines cannot recall installing it. How so? It’s because the rogue tool often arrives with other programs, usually benign and free ones, and the process isn’t nearly as straightforward as one might expect. Bundles embracing multiple utilities can look like a single app installer while containing no apparent indication that anything else is being promoted along the way. This holds true to the default install mode – the one most people never opt out of. The only way to see what’s in the bundle and deselect the unwanted items, if any, is to go for the custom option. This simple habit can really make your day and help you steer clear of PUAs like Smart Mac Care.
Once inside a Mac, this questionably safe app adds itself to the startup items so that the system executes the process at boot time. This change isn’t conspicuous to the naked eye, though. What definitely draws the victim’s attention is the scan by Smart Mac Care that starts running all of a sudden. When the checkup is completed, the scareware displays a report that will make even the most self-possessed users feel uneasy. It usually reports hundreds of infections, junk items, and privacy issues. In fact, most of these are relatively harmless browser cookies, some are far-fetched problems, and quite a few are fictitious altogether. Nevertheless, gullible users may fall for this fake heads-up, which is the perfect circumstance for the software publisher to sell their licenses because the repair is a matter of registering the full version of Smart Mac Care.
The scareware may additionally meddle with the victim’s preferred web browser by hijacking the homepage, default search engine, and new tab settings. This way, it forcibly forwards a portion of the online navigation routine to landing pages that host additional fabricated alerts and recommend that the users pay for fixing the bugs. The victims who are vigilant enough to grasp the whole malicious manipulation shortly realize that the Smart Mac Care rogue app, rather than the reported items, is the source of the predicament. When the removal of this PUA ends up on an infected user’s agenda, there turns out to be a hurdle thwarting the easy way. Dragging the dubious program from the Applications folder to the Trash may be a short-term or outright inefficient measure and the pest will quite likely reappear. Therefore, it takes a special procedure to get rid of this Mac software completely. See the following sections of this article for details regarding the thoroughgoing cleaning techniques.
Smart Mac Care PUA manual removal for Mac
The steps listed below will walk you through the removal of this potentially unwanted application. Be sure to follow the instructions in the order specified.
- Open up the Utilities folder as shown below
- Locate the Activity Monitor icon on the screen and double-click on it
- Under Activity Monitor, find the entry for Smart Mac Care, select it and click Quit Process
- A dialog should pop up, asking if you are sure you would like to quit the Mac Cleanup Pro executable. Select the Force Quit option
- Expand the Go menu in Apple Finder and select Go to Folder.
- Type or paste the following string in the folder search dialog: /Library/LaunchAgents
- Once the LaunchAgents directory opens up, find the following entries in it and move them to Trash:
- Use the Go to Folder lookup feature again to navigate to the folder named ~/Library/LaunchAgents. When this path opens, look for the same entries (see above) and send them to Trash
- Similarly, go to the ~Library/Application Support folder. Locate and move the following entries to Trash:
- Click the Go button again, but this time select Applications on the list. Find the entry for Smart Mac Care on the interface, right-click on it and select Move to Trash. If user password is required, go ahead and enter it
- Now go to Apple Menu and pick the System Preferences option
- Select Accounts and click the Login Items button. The system will come up with the list of the items that launch when the box is started up. Locate Smart Mac Care there, put a checkmark next to each one, and click on the “-“ button
Get rid of browser redirects caused by Smart Mac Care
To begin with, settings for the web browser that got hit by the Smart Mac Care virus should be restored to their default values. The overview of steps for this procedure is as follows:
1. Reset Safari
• Open the browser and go to Safari menu. Select Preferences in the drop-down list
• Once the Preferences screen appears, hit the Privacy tab at the top. Find the option that says Remove All Website Data and click on it
• The system will display a confirmation dialog that also includes a brief description of what the reset does. Specifically, you may be logged out of some services and encounter other changes of website behavior after the procedure. If you’re okay with that, go ahead and click the Remove Now button
• In order to selectively clear data generated by certain websites only, not all of them, hit the Details button under the Privacy section of Safari Preferences
• This feature will list all websites that have stored potentially sensitive data, including cache and cookies. Select the one, or ones, that might be causing trouble and click the appropriate button at the bottom (Remove or Remove All). Click the Done button to exit.
2. Reset Google Chrome
• Open Chrome and click the Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon
• Select Options for a new window to appear
• Select Under the Hood tab, then click Reset to defaults button
3. Reset Mozilla Firefox
• Open Firefox and select Help – Troubleshooting Information
• On the page that opened, click the Reset Firefox button
Use automatic tool to uninstall Smart Mac Care unwanted app from your Mac
When confronted with malicious code like the Smart Mac Care PUA on Mac, you can neutralize its toxic impact by leveraging a specially crafted system utility. The Freshmac application (read review) is a perfect match for this purpose as it delivers essential security features along with must-have modules for Mac optimization.
This tool cleans unneeded applications and persistent malware in one click. It also protects your privacy by eliminating tracking cookies, frees up disk space, and manages startup apps to decrease boot time. On top of that, it boasts 24/7 tech support. The following steps will walk you through automatic removal of the Smart Mac Care infection.
- Download Freshmac installer onto your machine. Double-click the Freshmac.pkg file to trigger the installer window, select the destination disk and click Continue. The system will display a dialog asking for your password to authorize the setup. Type the password and click Install Software.
- Once the installation has been completed, Freshmac will automatically start a scan consisting of 5 steps. It scans cache, logs, unused languages, trash, and checks the Mac for privacy issues.
- The scan report will then display your current system health status and the number of issues detected for each of the above categories. Click the Fix Safely button tto remove junk files and address privacy issues spotted during the scan.
- Check whether the Smart Mac Care issue has been fixed. If it perseveres, go to the Uninstaller option on Freshmac GUI. Locate an entry that appears suspicious, select it and click Fix Safely button to force-uninstall the unwanted application.
- Go to Temp and Startup Apps panes on theinterface and have all redundant or suspicious items eliminated as well. The Smart Mac Care scareware shouldn’t be causing any further trouble. malware shouldn’t be causing any further trouble.