By reading this article you will get an idea of the adware facet of the Maps Frontier app and learn how to remove ads this virus displays on a Mac computer.
Adware makes things get out of hand, no matter what kind of a device you are using. Its impact boils down to generating advertisements in web browsers, and in some cases the amount of this third-party content gets way beyond user-friendliness and prevents you from routinely surfing the web. Macs are also susceptible to this unsettling phenomenon – moreover, they are juicy targets for cybercriminals due to the fact that many Apple customers are still confident in the defenses of their machines and aren’t too tech-savvy when it comes to troubleshooting. With that said, apps that display unwanted ads are gaining momentum in the macOS ecosystem, and the issue appears to be big. Maps Frontier, also known as MapsFrontier, is one of these programs that don’t belong in a smoothly performing Mac computer as it inundates browsers with a plethora of sponsored entities.
As a result, while using the navigation functionality of this program you are bound to get tons of junk items out of your way. They are labeled “Ads by Maps Frontier”, “MapsFrontier ads”, or “Brought to you by Maps Frontier”. Clicking the X button on any of these might actually close it but will trigger new nag screens, so this predicament grows into a loop of constantly multiplying ads. This noxious content may hover over sites so that you can’t really see the useful stuff. To top it off, an inconspicuous virtual layer enclosing web pages will cause interstitial browser pages to open up in the background.
Getting on the hook of Maps Frontier is hardly ever an informed decision as very few Mac users wittingly install it. Instead, it goes the slippery route of bundling, where the payload tailgates into a computer along with some freeware. In other words, you think you are about to install a cool new streaming video converter, media player, whatnot, but end up allowing a package of applications to infiltrate your system, the Maps Frontier virus being one of them. In case this culprit is wreaking havoc with your Mac and has turned your regular browsing activity upside down, follow the steps below to get rid of it.
Maps Frontier virus manual removal for Mac
The steps listed below will walk you through the removal of this malicious application. Be sure to follow the instructions in the order specified.
• Open up the Utilities folder as shown below
• Locate the Activity Monitor icon on the screen and double-click on it
• Under Activity Monitor, find the entry for Maps Frontier (or MapsFrontier 1.0), select it and click Quit Process
• A dialog should pop up, asking if you are sure you would like to quit the troublemaking process. Select the Force Quit option
• Click the Go button again, but this time select Applications on the list. Find the entry for Maps Frontier on the interface, right-click on it and select Move to Trash. If user password is required, go ahead and enter it
• Now go to Apple Menu and pick the System Preferences option
• Select Accounts and click the Login Items button. The system will come up with the list of the items that launch when the computer is started up. Locate Maps Frontier there and click on the “-“ button
Get rid of Ads by Maps Frontier in web browser
To begin with, settings for the web browser that got hit by the Maps Frontier ads virus should be restored to their default values. The overview of steps for this procedure is as follows:
1. Reset Safari
• Open the browser and go to Safari menu. Select Reset Safari in the drop-down list
• Make sure all the boxes are ticked on the interface and hit Reset
2. Reset Google Chrome
• Open Chrome and click the Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon
• Select Options for a new window to appear
• Select Under the Hood tab, then click Reset to defaults button
3. Reset Mozilla Firefox
• Open Firefox and select Help – Troubleshooting Information
• On the page that opened, click the Reset Firefox button
Get rid of Maps Frontier ads virus using Freshmac removal tool
When confronted with malicious code like Maps Frontier on Mac, you can neutralize its toxic impact by leveraging a specially crafted system utility. The Freshmac application (read review) is a perfect match for this purpose as it delivers essential security features along with must-have modules for Mac optimization.
This tool cleans unneeded applications and persistent malware in one click. It also protects your privacy by eliminating tracking cookies, frees up disk space, and manages startup apps to decrease boot time. On top of that, it boasts 24/7 tech support. The following steps will walk you through automatic removal of the Maps Frontier Mac infection.
1. Download Freshmac installer onto your machine. Double-click the Freshmac.pkg file to trigger the installer window, select the destination disk and click Continue. The system will display a dialog asking for your password to authorize the setup. Type the password and click Install Software.
2. Once the installation has been completed, Freshmac will automatically start a scan consisting of 5 steps. It scans cache, logs, unused languages, trash, and checks the Mac for privacy issues.
3. The scan report will then display your current system health status and the number of issues detected for each of the above categories. Click the Fix Safely button to remove junk files and address privacy issues spotted during the scan.
4. Check whether the Maps Frontier ads problem has been fixed. If the lock screen is still there, go to the Uninstaller option on Freshmac GUI. Locate an entry that appears suspicious, select it and click Fix Safely button to force-uninstall the unwanted application.
5. Go to Temp and Startup Apps panes on the interface and have all redundant or suspicious items eliminated as well. The Maps Frontier ads malware shouldn’t be causing any further trouble.