Remove Safe Finder virus from Mac in Safari, Chrome and Firefox
This entry explains how the Safe Finder hijacker operates on Mac OS X and provides comprehensive instructions on search.safefinder.com virus removal.
Infections like Safe Finder break the stereotype of malware-free Macs. In fact, browser hijackers and ads-serving threats pose, by far, the prevalent category of offending software affecting this operating system. The impact from such attacks normally won’t go beyond Internet surfing alone, but the restricted scope of adverse influence doesn’t make these occurrences any less abominable than other farther-reaching breaches. The above-mentioned app reroutes its victim’s Safari, Chrome and Firefox preferences to search.safefinder.com. What this means is the unwelcome page will be popping up instead of the custom homepage, favorite search engine and new tab. Furthermore, the same effect may occur when the user simply enters an arbitrary site’s URL in the address bar. This indicates that the hijacker also skews DNS settings on infected Mac OS X boxes.
Officially, Safe Finder is advertised as a “the perfect tool to simplify the web”. It is supposed to add a non-intrusive widget that contains icons for a number useful features, including website translation to a language of choice, quick sharing on popular social networks, and safety ratings of web pages the user is about to visit. These benign and commendable declarations, though, become null and void as the app makes web browsers get completely out of hand instead. The victim will ultimately find it hard to visit any website other than search.safefinder.com. Authorization to make changes to browser settings on a contaminated Mac is the milestone that adware makers tend to skip, so the consequences of this trespass are usually a surprise to targeted users.
The way Safe Finder makes its way into Mac OS X is a whole separate story. Rather than study its ‘unique’ features and install it consciously, people allow it to literally slip by. The app’s payload accompanies other software like Advanced Mac Cleaner, but it’s usually a surreptitious process that makes it difficult for users to identify the threat and prevent it from getting in. This is why people mostly have to deal with the aftermath of the assault, which is a fairly tough challenge. The part below covers the must-take steps to eliminate this virus from Mac and rectify the modified browsing configuration.
Safe Finder adware manual removal for Mac
To begin with, settings for the web browser that got hit by the search.safefinder.com virus should be restored to their default values. The overview of steps for this procedure is as follows:
1. Reset Safari
• Open the browser and go to Safari menu. Select Reset Safari in the drop-down list
• Make sure all the boxes are ticked on the interface and hit Reset
2. Reset Google Chrome
• Open Chrome and click the Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon
• Select Options for a new window to appear
• Select Under the Hood tab, then click Reset to defaults button
3. Reset Mozilla Firefox
• Open Firefox and select Help – Troubleshooting Information
• On the page that opened, click the Reset Firefox button
Get rid of Safe Finder virus using Freshmac automatic removal tool
When confronted with malicious code like the Safe Finder on Mac, you can neutralize its toxic impact by leveraging a specially crafted system utility. The Freshmac application (read review) is a perfect match for this purpose as it delivers essential security features along with must-have modules for Mac optimization.
This tool cleans unneeded applications and persistent malware in one click. It also protects your privacy by eliminating tracking cookies, frees up disk space, and manages startup apps to decrease boot time. On top of that, it boasts 24/7 tech support. The following steps will walk you through automatic removal of the Safe Finder virus infection.
1. Download Freshmac installer onto your machine. Double-click the Freshmac.pkg file to trigger the installer window, select the destination disk and click Continue. The system will display a dialog asking for your password to authorize the setup. Type the password and click Install Software.
2. Once the installation has been completed, Freshmac will automatically start a scan consisting of 5 steps. It scans cache, logs, unused languages, trash, and checks the Mac for privacy issues.
3. The scan report will then display your current system health status and the number of issues detected for each of the above categories. Click the Fix Safely button to remove junk files and address privacy issues spotted during the scan.
4. Check whether the Safe Finder virus has been fixed. If the lock screen is still there, go to the Uninstaller option on Freshmac GUI. Locate an entry that appears suspicious, select it and click Fix Safely button to force-uninstall the unwanted application.
5. Go to Temp and Startup Apps panes on the interface and have all redundant or suspicious items eliminated as well. The Safe Finder virus fraud shouldn’t be causing any further trouble.