The guide contains useful security information with regard to MacitNow adware operating on Mac OS X, and provides recommendations on removal of said bug.
The way e-advertising works is through displaying sponsored information to potential buyers where appropriate. The key phrase is “where appropriate”, and that’s what makes it easy to differentiate between legit ads and the ones generated by malicious entities such as adware. Since the MacitNow browser add-on triggers an awful lot of ads where they don’t belong at all, it causes user experience issues and raises some red flags for security software suites. A peculiar feature of this app is that it’s tailored specifically for Macs, its installer being a .dmg file. It’s cross-browser, so no matter which one of the popular web browsers you use – it will get hit. The somewhat shady essence of this little program becomes obvious as early as during the setup, where the payload sneaks into a Mac machine via an undercover process. Affiliated free products, such as multimedia tools, video downloaders, whatnot, carry the bug with them and try to conceal this fact along the way. The installation workflow doesn’t clearly tell you that MacitNow is included, and automatically promotes the questionable tool unless custom setup is selected and configured. So, the tip of the day: do not go default when installing freeware or shareware.
The worst part commences after this adware has integrated its components into the targeted Mac. The respective browser extension gets the privileges that suffice for it to make tangible changes to the way websites are displayed. The app embeds various types of advertising into pages, including coupons, discount codes, freebies, best price offers, etc, signed “Ads by MacitNow” or “Brought to You by MacitNow”. In addition to the content mentioned above, some fragments of the text or single words on sites become automatically hyperlinked with merchant resources, which renders the pages yet more weird-looking. The tons of content that gets continuously loaded by MacitNow as you are surfing the web affects page opening times, so get ready for some sluggish browsing.
Another important fact to keep in mind is that this app scans the shopping sites you recently visited – this is what its official page says. What this means, though, is that MacitNow is aware of your browsing patterns, so it obviously monitors and collects about your online activity. To avoid Internet privacy problems and stop the annoying ads from popping up, one should uninstall the add-on. This, however, may be more difficult than the standard extension removal procedure due to the adware attributes of MacitNow.
MacitNow manual removal for Mac
To begin with, settings for the web browser that got hit by MacitNow virus should be restored to their default values. The overview of steps for this procedure is as follows:
1. Reset Safari
• Open the browser and go to Safari menu. Select Reset Safari in the drop-down list
• Make sure all the boxes are ticked on the interface and hit Reset
2. Reset Google Chrome
• Open Chrome and click the Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon
• Select Options for a new window to appear
• Select Under the Hood tab, then click Reset to defaults button
3. Reset Mozilla Firefox
• Open Firefox and select Help – Troubleshooting Information
• On the page that opened, click the Reset Firefox button
Get rid of MacitNow virus using Freshmac automatic removal tool
When confronted with malicious code like the MacitNow on Mac, you can neutralize its toxic impact by leveraging a specially crafted system utility. The Freshmac application (read review) is a perfect match for this purpose as it delivers essential security features along with must-have modules for Mac optimization.
This tool cleans unneeded applications and persistent malware in one click. It also protects your privacy by eliminating tracking cookies, frees up disk space, and manages startup apps to decrease boot time. On top of that, it boasts 24/7 tech support. The following steps will walk you through automatic removal of the MacitNow infection.
1. Download Freshmac installer onto your machine. Double-click the Freshmac.pkg file to trigger the installer window, select the destination disk and click Continue. The system will display a dialog asking for your password to authorize the setup. Type the password and click Install Software.
2. Once the installation has been completed, Freshmac will automatically start a scan consisting of 5 steps. It scans cache, logs, unused languages, trash, and checks the Mac for privacy issues.
3. The scan report will then display your current system health status and the number of issues detected for each of the above categories. Click the Fix Safely button to remove junk files and address privacy issues spotted during the scan.
4. Check whether the MacitNow virus has been fixed. If the lock screen is still there, go to the Uninstaller option on Freshmac GUI. Locate an entry that appears suspicious, select it and click Fix Safely button to force-uninstall the unwanted application.
5. Go to Temp and Startup Apps panes on the interface and have all redundant or suspicious items eliminated as well. The MacitNow fraud shouldn’t be causing any further trouble.