Peruse this entry to learn what kind of a Mac infection MyWay Search is and get the hang of the procedure to get rid of this browser hijacker completely.
MyWay Search is an online service that embodies the whole imposture residing on the worldwide web. It has gained notoriety for being one of the most persistent browser hijacking viruses that infect Mac and Windows machines alike. Its cross-platform gist and evasiveness make it stand out from the crowd populated by garden-variety adware and hijackers. It is worth mentioning from the start that perceiving this entity as a malicious web page is a misconception. What’s harmful is the underlying app that typically arrives in the form of a browser plugin or add-on. This offending code misconfigures the web browsers spotted on the infected Mac and makes them default to a rogue page. The latter, incidentally, may vary – the latest reported URLs include in.search.myway.com and hp.myway.com. Originally, this pest used the search.myway.com domain and must have switched to new ones due to blacklisting and similar issues.
Whereas the MyWay Search virus boasts greater distribution than most of the competing infections, it goes the exact same route as far as the contamination chain is concerned. Specifically, the troublemaking program infiltrates Macs while accompanying other, ostensibly unrelated apps which, in their turn, play the role of a red herring. In other words, the cybercrooks harness the good ol’ bundling trick, where malicious entities make the rounds alongside benign ones. The catch is that the fact of combined installation is never disclosed in the setup client. Therefore, users keep thinking they are installing some fancy free app all the way throughout the installation process while having no clue the default option has got a pest on board.
Once the penetration has taken place, MyWay Search leverages pretty much the same tactics as the average adware. It embeds a new pseudo helper item into all instances of major web browsers detected in the system. This baddie is both multi-platform and cross-browser, so it will affect Safari, Chrome, and Firefox in a similar fashion. The unwanted extension will then tweak web navigation settings, including the preferred start page, search provider, and possibly the new tab page. These are replaced by int.search.myway.com or hp.myway.com, so the enslaved browser will be resolving the wrong URL off and on.
The landing page itself is not dangerous, although unannounced and uninvited. If the victim tries to run a search there, they will get relevant Google results diluted with sponsored links. The individuals behind MyWay Search, obviously, seek to intercept unsuspecting users’ Internet traffic in order to monetize it – this scheme is as old as the adware industry itself. If this virus is inside your Mac, here is what you should do to stop participating in this nefarious enrichment campaign done at the expense of regular users’ serenity.
MyWay Search virus manual removal for Mac
The steps listed below will walk you through the removal of this malicious application. Be sure to follow the instructions in the order specified.
• Open up the Utilities folder as shown below
• Locate the Activity Monitor icon on the screen and double-click on it
• Under Activity Monitor, the entry for MyWay Search, select it and click Quit Process
• A dialog should pop up, asking if you are sure you would like to quit the troublemaking process. Select the Force Quit option
• Click the Go button again, but this time select Applications on the list. Find the entry for MyWay Search on the interface, right-click on it and select Move to Trash. If user password is required, go ahead and enter it
• Now go to Apple Menu and pick the System Preferences option
• Select Accounts and click the Login Items button. The system will come up with the list of the items that launch when the computer is started up. Locate MyWay Search there and click on the “-“ button
Get rid of int.search.myway.com / hp.myway.com redirects in web browser
To begin with, settings for the web browser that got hit by MyWay Search virus should be restored to their default values. The overview of steps for this procedure is as follows:
1. Reset Safari
• Open the browser and go to Safari menu. Select Reset Safari in the drop-down list
• Make sure all the boxes are ticked on the interface and hit Reset
2. Reset Google Chrome
• Open Chrome and click the Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon
• Select Options for a new window to appear
• Select Under the Hood tab, then click Reset to defaults button
3. Reset Mozilla Firefox
• Open Firefox and select Help – Troubleshooting Information
• On the page that opened, click the Reset Firefox button
Get rid of MyWay Search malware using Freshmac removal tool
When confronted with malicious code like the MyWay Search virus on Mac, you can neutralize its toxic impact by leveraging a specially crafted system utility. The Freshmac application (read review) is a perfect match for this purpose as it delivers essential security features along with must-have modules for Mac optimization.
This tool cleans unneeded applications and persistent malware in one click. It also protects your privacy by eliminating tracking cookies, frees up disk space, and manages startup apps to decrease boot time. On top of that, it boasts 24/7 tech support. The following steps will walk you through automatic removal of the MyWay Search Mac infection.
1. Download Freshmac installer onto your machine. Double-click the Freshmac.pkg file to trigger the installer window, select the destination disk and click Continue. The system will display a dialog asking for your password to authorize the setup. Type the password and click Install Software.
2. Once the installation has been completed, Freshmac will automatically start a scan consisting of 5 steps. It scans cache, logs, unused languages, trash, and checks the Mac for privacy issues.
3. The scan report will then display your current system health status and the number of issues detected for each of the above categories. Click the Fix Safely button to remove junk files and address privacy issues spotted during the scan.
4. Check whether the MyWay Search redirect problem has been fixed. If it perseveres, go to the Uninstaller option on Freshmac GUI. Locate an entry that appears suspicious, select it and click Fix Safely button to force-uninstall the unwanted application.
5. Go to Temp and Startup Apps panes on the interface and have all redundant or suspicious items eliminated as well. The MyWay Search malware shouldn’t be causing any further trouble.