Remove Search-Quick virus from Safari, Firefox and Chrome on Mac OS X
Follow the steps listed in this guide to get rid of search-quick.com hijacker on Mac and also get tips and tricks to stay clear of this nagging threat.
Search-quick.com is a website overpopulated with sponsored information. This, however, is not the main problem about it. As far as Mac user’s security is concerned, visiting the page mentioned above is an alarm signal that denotes one of the prevalent adware infections currently deployed for OS X. In other words, there is an app that infiltrates one’s machine without adhering to typical authorization requirements and then messes up the functioning of web browsers. The final goal that the virus makers pursue via this tactic is to make the victims frequently hit search-quick.com as though this were their preferred homepage and search engine.
This adware reportedly follows a bundling workflow to contaminate Mac devices. The common scheme is simple: you stumble upon some captivating video, but it cannot be watched because a notification says you need some special software, for instance, MPlayerX. Since the recommended utility includes the potentially unwanted applet in its setup pack, you end up catching the virus without even realizing it.
Dubious software installation that like is the starting point for the malware deployment. The changes that follow this trespass include the addition of new objects to the system, named “.onlySearch.plist” and “V.framework”. That’s not something the user will notice with the naked eye, though. More obvious symptoms are going to be observed in Safari, Chrome or Firefox on the Mac. Whichever of these browsers is used, its settings will undergo significant changes.
The browser homepage will be changed to search-quick.com, and so will the new tab and preferred search provider. The interesting thing about the site mentioned above is that it will be always redirecting you to a different page, namely thesmartsearch.net, when you try to enter your search in there. As a result, you end up being involved in a loop of repeatedly triggered browser redirects, which complicates the web surfing and keeps you from configuring your preferences. Read further instructions to learn how Search-Quick virus can be removed from Mac.
Search-Quick manual removal for Mac
To begin with, settings for the web browser that got hit by the search-quick.com virus should be restored to their default values. The overview of steps for this procedure is as follows:
1. Reset Safari
• Open the browser and go to Safari menu. Select Reset Safari in the drop-down list
• Make sure all the boxes are ticked on the interface and hit Reset
2. Reset Google Chrome
• Open Chrome and click the Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon
• Select Options for a new window to appear
• Select Under the Hood tab, then click Reset to defaults button
3. Reset Mozilla Firefox
• Open Firefox and select Help – Troubleshooting Information
• On the page that opened, click the Reset Firefox button
Search-quick.com virus automatic removal for Mac
1. Download and install MacKeeper application (read review). In addition to security features, this tool provides a vast arsenal of Mac optimization capabilities
2. Get your Mac checked for malicious software by going to System Scan and starting the scan procedure
3. When the app comes up with a list of detected security issues, get those fixed by clicking the respective button. The Search-Quick adware should now be completely gone.