TuneupMyMac virus: remove MacOS:Tuneupmymac-k malware
Get an idea of how the TuneupMyMac rogue optimizer may try to trick users into buying its license and learn how to uninstall it from an infected Mac.
At first sight, the application called TuneupMyMac seems like a match for those seeking system optimization. It claims to clean and enhance the performance of a Mac machine by spotting and erasing different types of junk as well as redundant information that clutters the system and slows it down. This impression might be delusive, though. There are a few red flags when it comes to this app’s modus operandi. First of all, it doesn’t get installed like regular Mac utilities, meaning that users aren’t properly informed of the setup. TuneupMyMac tends to slither its way into a computer alongside other software. Whereas bundling per se is not forbidden or anything, in this case the would-be victim is unaware of the drive-by. You think you are installing one program but end up getting a few, one of which may be unwelcome.
After implementing the stealth trespass highlighted above, the applet in question triggers a persistence mechanism and configures macOS to launch its executable at startup time. When up and running, it will repeatedly display a rogue scan that pretends to scour the system for performance issues. Predictably enough, this potentially unwanted application reports numerous problems upon completion of the scan, including unused languages in installed software, duplicate files, unnecessary large files, logs, redundant startup apps and the like. Some of these detections can be real, but what’s disconcerting is the way TuneupMyMac offers to address them. It will keep displaying nag screens and popups with reminders to register its licensed edition otherwise the errors will allegedly persevere and continue to affect the system.
So let’s outline the cons of TuneupMyMac. It gets on board Macs via a shady technique that involves some benign application bundled with the extra that doesn’t belong on the machine. Secondly, the culprit does too many things without asking for user permission, such as adding a new entry to the Startup Items list. To top it off, the troublemaking program deliberately exaggerates the risk of keeping some entities on a Mac, and does it in quite a defiant fashion. Tons of popup alerts and scan windows will be emerging at random, pressuring the victim into initiating a fake fix through purchasing the full version. To save yourself the trouble of enduring such an obnoxious activity, go ahead and use the steps below in order to bid farewell to the MacOS:TuneupMyMac-K malware.
TuneupMyMac manual removal for Mac
The steps listed below will walk you through the removal of this application. Be sure to follow the instructions in the order specified.
• Open up the Utilities folder as shown below
• Locate the Activity Monitor icon on the screen and double-click on it
• Under Activity Monitor, find the entry for TuneupMyMac, select it and click Quit Process
• A dialog should pop up, asking if you are sure you would like to quit the troublemaking process. Select the Force Quit option
• Click the Go button again, but this time select Applications on the list. Find the entry for TuneupMyMac on the interface, right-click on it and select Move to Trash. If user password is required, go ahead and enter it
• Now go to Apple Menu and pick the System Preferences option
• Select Accounts and click the Login Items button. The system will come up with the list of the items that launch when the box is started up. Locate TuneupMyMac there and click on the “-“ button
Use automatic tool to uninstall TuneupMyMac malware from your Mac
1. Download and install MacBooster application (read review). The tool provides both optimization and security features for your Mac. As part of obliterating the TuneupMyMac infection proper, consider also checking your machine for other security risks and performance issues by hitting the Scan button.
2. Proceed to the Uninstaller feature, find TuneupMyMac on the Applications list and have MacBooster completely eliminate all components of the app from your Mac by clicking Uninstall in the bottom part of the GUI. Doing so will ensure all components of the malware and its remainders, which may have not been removed in the manual way, will be thoroughly cleaned up.