Remove MegaBackup virus from Mac OS X
Get a fix for the MegaBackup issue that results in annoying popups appearing on the infected Mac machine and ads being embedded in web pages.
MegaBackup exemplifies misleading software that attempts to convince Mac users to purchase the license under false pretenses. Its graphical user interface deceitfully states that thousands of files are unprotected and recommends urgent backup in order to allegedly secure data from “potential system crash, accidental file deletion or hard drive damage”. Under this entire aura of good intensions, though, there lurks a ruse that not everyone can discern. To start with, this application hardly ever uses conventional installation methods – instead, it gets into systems as a component of bundled setups where the inclusion of the extra item is covert. This is exactly why most users suffering from the adverse consequences of this attack cannot recall allowing MegaBackup to get into their Macs.
Furthermore, this app invokes a number of effects upon the Internet browsing facet of computer usage. In particular, it may add an extension to Safari as well as the Mac-adjusted variants of Chrome and Firefox, while the administrator on the box, again, is not requested for approval. Said add-on is tasked with inserting a variety of advertising content into pages that the victim visits. Ultimately, regular sites will be filled up with coupons, special offers, deals, banners, price comparison charts and inline text. To cap it off, interstitial ads are also likely to recurrently pop up when you are navigating from one page to another.
MegaBackup also generates tons of warning notifications that try to frighten the user into believing that resorting to the app’s services is a must. These alerts emphasize the volume of personal information that’s purportedly at risk, stating that loads of photos, documents, music files, desktop items and downloads can be completely obliterated in case something goes wrong with the hardware. The popups get too nagging to endure over time, so MegaBackup removal gets on every infected person’s agenda at the end of the day.
MegaBackup manual removal for Mac
The steps listed below will walk you through the removal of this application. Be sure to follow the instructions in the order specified.
• Open up the Utilities folder as shown below
• Locate the Activity Monitor icon on the screen and double-click on it
• Under Activity Monitor, find the entry for MegaBackup, select it and click Quit Process
• A dialog should pop up, asking if you are sure you would like to quit the MegaBackup executable. Select the Force Quit option
• Click the Go button again, but this time select Applications on the list. Find the MegaBackup entry on the interface, right-click on it and select Move to Trash. If user password is required, enter it
• Now go to Apple Menu and pick the System Preferences option
• Select Accounts and click the Login Items button. Mac OS will come up with the list of the items that launch when the box is started up. Locate Mega Backup there and click on the "-" button
Prevent browser issues caused by MegaBackup
Settings for the web browser that got hit by MegaBackup and affiliated adware should be restored to their default values. The overview of steps for this procedure is as follows:
1. Reset Safari
• Open the browser and go to Safari menu. Select Reset Safari in the drop-down list
• Make sure all the boxes are ticked on the interface and hit Reset
2. Reset Google Chrome
• Open Chrome and click the Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon
• Select Options for a new window to appear
• Select Under the Hood tab, then click Reset to defaults button
3. Reset Mozilla Firefox
• Open Firefox and select Help – Troubleshooting Information
• On the page that opened, click the Reset Firefox button
Use automatic tool to completely uninstall MegaBackup from your Mac
1. Download and install MacBooster application. The tool provides both optimization and security features for your Mac. Before you get down to obliterating MegaBackup proper, consider checking your machine for other security risks and performance issues by hitting the Scan button.
2. Proceed to the Uninstaller feature, find MegaBackup on the Applications list and have MacBooster completely eliminate all components of the app from your Mac by clicking Uninstall in the bottom part of the GUI. Doing so will ensure all components of the malware and its remainders, which may have not been removed in the manual way, will be thoroughly cleaned up.